It’s been a few weeks since you’ve had a baby. You are feeling like yourself again. You’re also getting maternity clothing that doesn’t fit quite right. After all, those pre-pregnancy jeans are too tight at the waist. You may want to finance some new outfits now, specifically maternity jeans. How to turn maternity jeans into regular jeans?
Maternity jeans are designed to fit a woman’s body during pregnancy and post-pregnancy. You can reshape them to wear like regular jeans. Also, you can use a belt without cutting the jeans. Otherwise, cut the jeans, resize them, and sew them properly with a needle to convert maternity jeans to regular jeans.
Pregnancy jeans are usually slightly higher in the waist to accommodate a growing belly. They often have a stretchy or elastic panel in the front. Again, the panel can be worn over the belly or folded down, depending on your preference. You can wear them after being a mother. Still, turning them into regular pants can be more effective.
Can you turn maternity jeans into regular jeans, really? Please continue reading this article to learn how quickly you can turn maternity jeans into regular jeans.
How to Make the Transition from Maternity Jeans to Regular Jeans
Maternity jeans are a necessary evil for many pregnant women. They are comfortable and allow your growing belly to be supported. But they can also be a pain to take off and on while being expensive. Some instructions are here to make the transition from maternity jeans to regular jeans a little easier:
- Don’t wait until you’re ready to give birth to start shopping for regular denim. Your body will constantly change during pregnancy, so it is best to start early.
- You should check out many different styles and brands of jeans. All the jeans won’t work out for every woman.
- When you find a pair of regular jeans you like, buy a few pairs. You will probably be going up and down in size during the last few weeks of pregnancy, so it is best to have a few options.
- Do not be afraid to experiment with different styles. Skinny jeans, bootcut jeans, wide-leg jeans – so many options are available. Find what works for you and your new body.
- Be patient. Finding the perfect pair of regular jeans may take a few tries, but it will be worth it.
Click on any image to buy them!
What to do when your maternity jeans no longer fit?
If your maternity jeans no longer fit, you can try a few different things to make them work:
- You may try using a belt to help hold them up.
- You can try wearing a longer top to cover the gap at the waist.
- You can also try rolling the waistband down to fit the jeans better.
- You can keep maternity pants from falling by converting them to regular jeans.
If the above methods fail, you can always donate the jeans to a charity or consignment shop.
Check another article on Maternity Jeans Vs. Belly Band.
How to Turn Maternity Jeans into Regular Jeans – Method One
You have probably accumulated a few pairs of maternity jeans throughout your pregnancy (or pregnancies) if you are anything like me. Also, you probably cannot bear to part with them once the baby is born. I mean, they are just so darn comfortable!
But what would you prefer to do if you were no longer pregnant? You could try to sell them online, but let me be honest – who will want to buy used maternity jeans?
So, what is a girl to do?
Convert them, of course!
It is, in fact, pretty easy to convert your maternity jeans into regular jeans. If you feel fancy, you need a needle and thread (or a sewing machine) for about 30 minutes.
Here’s what you do:
- Turn your jeans inside out.
- Take a needle and thread (or a sewing machine) to sew a straight line across the top of the jeans, about 1 inch or 2” below the waistband.
- Cut off the excess fabric below the line you just sewed.
- Turn your jeans right-side out and try them on. If the size is too large, you can always take them in a bit more.
And that’s it! You now have a pair of regular jeans that truly fit! There will be no more struggling to button up your pre-pregnancy jeans or feeling like you will burst out of your maternity jeans!
So go forth and convert those maternity jeans! Your post-partum self will thank you.
You may love to read another good post: How Does a Belly Band Work?
How to Change Maternity Jeans into Regular Jeans – Method Two
Maternity jeans are a lifesaver during the early days and weeks after giving birth. You can take on the world in comfy, stretchy pants. They help you feel put-together, even when you run on zero sleep. Again, you can chase after a toddler, run errands, and even go on date night without worrying about a pair of jeans digging into the waist or giving me a muffin top.
You have probably got a few maternity jeans hanging in your closet. Now, you just cannot seem to get rid of it. But what if I suggest you can convert them into regular jeans after your baby is born? The DIY maternity jeans conversion method below will help you make the old jeans into useful ones on post-partum days. Follow each step and get it done quickly:
- Start by cutting off the band that goes over your belly. This part makes maternity jeans so uncomfortable, so getting rid of them will make a difference.
- Next, cut the jeans to your desired length. I like cropped jeans and usually cut them just above the ankle.
- Once the jeans are the right length, it is time to add some new hardware. Swap the maternity button for a regular button and sew it into place.
- Voila! You now have a pair of regular jeans that fit and are comfortable.
If you do not want to deal with the hassle of converting your maternity jeans, you can donate them to charity organizations. But if you are like me and cannot bear to part with them, this little hack will help you get some use out of them long after your baby is born.
Below, you can find an entirely different way to use maternity jeans as everyday jeans:
How to Wear Regular Jeans While Pregnant?
Wearing regular jeans during pregnancy can be a bit challenging, but there are a few ways to make it work:
- Use a hair tie or rubber band: Loop a hair tie or rubber band around the button of your jeans and through the buttonhole. This will give you extra space to fasten your jeans without buttoning them up.
- Invest in a belly band: A belly band is a stretchy band that goes around your waist, providing support for your belly and helping to keep your pants in place.
- Opt for low-rise jeans: Low-rise jeans sit below your belly and can be worn comfortably throughout pregnancy.
- Try a belly panel: Some maternity wear brands make a belly panel that can be attached to your regular jeans. This will provide extra support for your belly and make your jeans feel more comfortable.
- Consider a size up: If all else fails, consider sizing up in your regular jeans to accommodate your growing belly.
Overall, I think converting your maternity jeans to regular jeans is straightforward. I recommend trying to get the most use out of your everyday jeans.
I hope this tutorial about converting maternity pants to regular pants was helpful. I hope you feel confident in your ability to transform your maternity jeans! After all, you know how to adjust pants for pregnancy and post-pregnancy periods.
Have a happy motherhood!
Born in Texas, Jennifer loves to spend time with her kids. Often, she shares her thoughts from the experience of being a mother. She focuses on surprising the Momoutfit readers with incredible information. Her vision is being a better mother, a visionary person.