Are you expecting a little bundle of joy? Congratulations! Along with all of the excitement, you may be wondering what to wear during those nine special months. You will want something comfortable to accommodate your growing belly, but that does not mean you have to sacrifice style. A DIY maternity maxi dress is the perfect solution.
If you are not sure how to make a maternity maxi dress, do not worry. This guide will take you from choosing the right fabric to sewing the perfect straps. By the end, you will have a beautiful dress you can wear with pride throughout your pregnancy.
Again, there are many different styles of maternity maxi dresses available on the market, but sewing your dress allows you to customize the fit, style, and fabric to suit your taste and needs.
In this maternity maxi dress tutorial, I will show you how to sew a maternity maxi dress with a non-pregnant waistline. I will also provide helpful tips on making an adjustable maternity maxi skirt.
What is a maxi dress for a pregnant woman?
A maxi dress is an elongated, flowing dress that is usually entirely fitted at the top and loose at the bottom. This style is trendy because it is both comfortable and flattering. It’s also easy to dress up or down, making it a versatile option for any occasion.
What You Will Need:
- 2 yards of stretchy knit fabric (such as jersey or spandex)
- Sewing machine
- Ruler or measuring tape
Cut & Sew:
Now you can learn about how to sew maternity dresses. Follow these steps for knowing the maternity dress sewing pattern:
1. Start by cutting two rectangles out of your fabric. The first rectangle should be about 35” wide by 44” long. It will be the front panel of your dress. Again, the second rectangle should be about 27” wide by 44” long. It will be the back panel of your dress.
2. Now, fold each rectangle in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Pin the side seams together and sew them with a straight stitch.
3. Try on your dress and mark where you’d like the straps to go. Cut two strips of fabric 2” wide by 22” long.
4. This time, fold each strip in half lengthwise and pin the raw edges together. Sew the strips with a straight stitch, leaving a 1/4” seam allowance.
5. Pin the straps to the dress, ensuring the raw edges are aligned. Sew the straps in place with a straight stitch.
6. Hem the bottom of the dress by folding the fabric up 1” and then 1” again. Lastly, pin the hem in the right place and sew it with a straight stitch.
Sewing a Maxi Dress with a Non-Pregnant Waistline
When sewing a maternity maxi dress with a non-pregnant waistline, choosing a stretchy and cozy fabric is essential. A lightweight knit fabric such as cotton or bamboo is ideal. You will also need a sewing machine and some basic sewing supplies.
1. Begin by taking your measurements. Measure your bust, waist, and hips. Also, you must measure the length from your shoulder to your desired hemline.
2. Now, cut two rectangles of fabric, one for the front and one for the back of the dress. The rectangles should be the length of your measurement plus 2 inches (for seam allowance) and the width of your bust plus 2 inches (for seam allowance).
3. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise and sew the side seams.
4. Try on the dress and mark where you would like the waistline to fall. Sew a gathering stitch along the marked line.
5. Gather the fabric until it is the same width as your waist measurement. Sew the gathered fabric to the waistline of the dress.
6. Hem the bottom of the dress to your desired length.
How to Sew a Maternity Maxi Dress with No Exposed Seams
If you want to avoid exposed seams in your maternity maxi dress, there are a few things you can do to sew the maxi dress. First, you can choose a fabric that does not fray easily, such as cotton or bamboo. Second, you can use bias tape or French seams to enclose the raw edges of your fabric.
1. Begin by cutting your fabric into two rectangles, one for the front and one for the back of the dress. The rectangles should be the length of your measurement plus 2 inches (for seam allowance) and the width of your bust plus 2 inches (for seam allowance).
2. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise and sew the side seams.
3. To create a French seam, sew the side seams with the right sides of the fabric facing each other. Trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch and press the seam open.
4. Fold the fabric so that the right sides face each other again and sew the seam with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Press the seam open.
5. To create bias tape, cut strips of fabric on the bias (at a 45-degree angle to the selvage). Fold the strips in half lengthwise now. After that, sew the raw edges together.
6. Fold the bias tape in half and enclose the raw edges of the side seams. Sew the bias tape in place.
7. Hem the bottom of the dress to your desired length.
How To Make an Adjustable Maternity Maxi Skirt
An adjustable maternity maxi skirt is an excellent option for pregnant women still unsure of their size. It is also an ideal selection for women between sizes who may need to adjust the fit as their pregnancy progresses.
1. Begin by cutting a rectangle of fabric that is the length of your measurement plus 2 inches (for seam allowance) and the width of your hips plus 2 inches (for seam allowance).
2. You can double the fabric in half lengthwise and sew the side seams.
3. Next, sew a pile-up stitch along the top edge of the skirt.
4. Gather the fabric until it is the same width as your waist measurement. Sew the gathered fabric to the waistline of the skirt.
5. Hem the bottom of the skirt to your desired length.
6. To adjust the skirt, sew a buttonhole at the waistline and thread a piece of elastic through it. Knot the elastic to create a drawstring.
The Benefits of Wearing a Maternity Maxi Dress During Pregnancy.
If you are looking for an easy, stylish and affordable way to dress your bump, then a maternity maxi dress is a fantastic option. Here are just a few of the benefits of wearing a maternity maxi dress during pregnancy:
1. They are incredibly comfortable.
Maternity maxi dresses are comfortable for pregnant women, with plenty of room for your growing belly. They are often made from stretchy, breathable fabrics that keep you cool and comfortable, even in the hottest weather.
2. They are flattering.
Maternity maxi dresses are often very flattering, thanks to their loose-fitting style. They can help to disguise a less-than-perfect body shape and make you look and feel great.
3. They are affordable.
Maternity maxi dresses are often very affordable, especially compared to other maternity clothing options. It makes them an admirable choice for budget-conscious mums-to-be.
4. They are stylish.
Maternity maxi dresses come in various styles, from casual to formal. It means you can find a dress to suit any occasion, whether you are heading to the beach or a wedding.
5. They are easy to wear.
Maternity maxi dresses are effortless to wear. There’s no need for complicated fastenings or uncomfortable underwear – slip on your clothing, and you are good to go.
As the warmer months approach, many pregnant women begin to search for the perfect maternity maxi dress. A maternity maxi dress is a long, flowing dress designed to be worn during pregnancy.
Finally, you know how to make a maternity maxi dress. It’s time to start sewing! This tutorial is easy enough for a beginner, but you will end up with a dress similar to a boutique item.
Once you’ve mastered this project, you can experiment with different fabrics and colors. You might even want to make a few dresses, so you have one for every occasion.
Born in Texas, Jennifer loves to spend time with her kids. Often, she shares her thoughts from the experience of being a mother. She focuses on surprising the Momoutfit readers with incredible information. Her vision is being a better mother, a visionary person.